Saturday, April 12, 2008

Referral Marketing: Raviolis!

Tonight I had raviolis for dinner! I love raviolis ... and not just any raviolis. The best of the best are my mom's homemade, from scratch, raviolis! My mother has a special way of making raviolis that if I told you ... well, you know what I would need to do to you ... so, I'm not telling that part of the story. Many Italians have their own special recipe for their raviolis ... mostly for what goes INSIDE the raviolis. Perhaps you've begun to see many restaurants adding their own spin to the guts of the raviolis. I've seen fried raviolis, sweet potato raviolis, spinach raviolis, pesto raviolis, pumpkin raviolis, meat raviolis, and even lobster raviolis. There's alot of fuss being made about what goes into raviolis. In fact, I actually saw a sign in a catalog that read ... "Life is like raviolis, it's only as good as what we put into it!"

I believe that to be true! I also believe that to be true of networking. Networking is like raviolis ... it's only as good as what we put into it! Think of this way ... if you paid for a membership to a networking group, like a Chamber of Commerce, and only showed up once in a blue moon, you can't honestly expect to get much out of it. If you belong to a BNI chapter and only decide to do one 1to1 meeting per month with another member of your chapter, you really are not going to get many referrals out of that group! If you meet with your referral partners once every seven months, you're not doing what it takes to nuture that relationship. So again, you can't expect to get much out of it! See what I mean?

So ... what do you like in your raviolis? If you're not getting what you want from your networking efforts ... perhaps you're not putting much "meat" into it! Just some food for thought.

No comments: