Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Referral Marketing: Catalytic Connectors

How many times have you attended networking events alone? Alot? You're not alone. I would venture to guess that most people attend alone. And, if they're not alone, they're with other co-workers ... attached at the hip.

Talk about a missed networking opportunity!!

Imagine if every time you attended a networking event, you took a close business contact with you. Maybe a referral partner, a strategic partner, a current client, a past client, a close colleague, etc. (you get the idea). Now imagine if you're sole purpose that evening is to help that person make some new contacts. WOW! Look at the value you're bringing to the relationship. Imagine how this contact is going to feel.

Tonight, I did just that. I invited a client to attend a networking event with me. My sole purpose was to help him make some new connections. I knew a small handful of people at the event, but most importantly, I knew the organizer (a past client). I brought the two of them together and asked the organizer if she could help to introduce my client around to some key people in the room. Because she knew everyone there, she was able to help my client meet some specific people.

In my opinion, a networking event becomes more powerful when the focus is NOT on you and instead viewed as an opportunity to help someone else.

1 comment:

--- said...

Great technique!