Friday, January 09, 2009

Referral Marketing: Saving Lives!

Did you know that great networkers can actually save lives ... literally!! Here's a true story.

I met a woman, Mary, a few months ago who was participating in one of my seminars. In speaking with her, she mentioned that her mom was suffering from a form of stomach cancer. My ears perked up since I know alot of doctors who deal with that specialty ... especially pathologists. I offered to her that if she ever needed a second opinion she should call me and I could connect her to someone really good.

On Christmas eve, I got an urgent call from Mary. Her mother was going down hill quickly and needed to see a doctor. Her regular physician was out of town for the holidays and her scheduled surgery wasn't until mid-January. The family feared she would not live that long and needed to see someone now. I called the #1 pathologist in Pittsburgh and she was able to give me the names of 3 doctors. In a matter of hours, Mary had an appointment for her mom just a few days after Christmas! This doctor saw her mom on Monday and operated on Wednesday!! The family was told that she most certainly would not have survived into the new year.

Her mom is home now, resting peacefully and already talking about getting back on the dance floor ... and she's 87 years old!

I hope this story warms your heart as it did mine. The true power in networking is being able to help someone simply because you have the ability to do so ... expecting nothing in return.

No comments: