Thursday, September 25, 2008

Referral Marketing: Breaking Records!

I spent this past week in the Adirondacks. Inlet, NY is a simple place, yet one of my favorite places on the planet. During the trip, I participated in the "One Square Mile of Hope" event that set out to raise money for the Susan B. Komen breast cancer foundation AND break the Guiness World Record for the number of canoes/kayaks arranged as a solid raft (everyone holding onto each others boats) on one body of water! The unofficial result is that we did indeed set a new Guiness World Record! This is the first time I've ever been a part of breaking a record. Kudos to Connie Perry, owner of Frisky Otter Tours, for having the vision and making it happen. Congratulations, Connie!

In a tough economy, one of the best ways to thrive is to clearly be able to separate yourself and your business from your competition. One powerful unique selling position is when you or your business breaks records or accomplishes "firsts". Connie Perry's business is focused on canoe and kayak tours and rentals of the Adirondacks. Do you think she has competition? Yes! However, not one of her competitors can state the claim that they organized a massive canoe/kayak event that broke a Guiness World Record! She is the first in her community to do so and will always be known for that accomplishment. If I were Connie, I would use that unique selling position in all of my marketing materials! I would use that unique selling position to position me ahead of my competitors.

Do you have a unique selling position? What can you say about you or your business that your competitors cannot say about themselves?


No comments: