Thursday, June 21, 2007

Don Corleone

This blog entry is a contribution from a Certified Networker graduate, Brian Panichelle of Panichelle Insurance. Thanks, Brian for your creativity!

"Being a guy of Italian decent, I have this habit of watching the Godfather movies on a regular basis—not quite monthly but close. As a professional that's dedicated to life long learning, building my business by referrals, and wanting others to succeed at the same, I have this other habit of always trying to look for good examples of great networking to share with others. When my two habits crossed recently I decided that Don Corleone is a great networker! Let me explain.

I read recently from Jeff Gitomer that it's NOT who you know, but who knows YOU. Think about it. In the movies, Don may not have known everybody, but they knew him! Maybe some wanted to meet him, others I'm certain did not, but they knew him. About a year ago, I met someone who is now one of my biggest promoters. When we were first introduced she said, “So you're Brian.” She already knew who I was. I had never met her, nor did I know who she was, but she knew me and by business by reputation and desired to meet me. This is one of the goals of networking, to have people promote you so that others will want to meet you and do business with you. People knew who Don Corleone was and they sought him out for his assistance.

Don Corleone, practiced givers gain! In the movie, the funeral director was in trouble. Who did he go to for help? Don Corleone. What did Don Corleone ask for in return. At the time, nothing, he simply stated that the man would be able to do him a favor sometime in the future. Okay maybe not a picture of altruistic behavior, but none-the-less, he understood how to build up his account with others, even if they didn’t have a choice but to drain theirs to get his help. The point is that as you make contacts, look out for their interests, help them build their business and expect nothing back. As you do this, it'll all come around at some point when they'll be able and more than willing to help you when you need it.

Okay so maybe it's a bit of a stretch ... maybe fear, power, greed and the like was what really is exemplified in the movie. Hey, I’m an optimist. Glean what you can when you can and NEVER stop learning. "

Thanks for indulging me.

Brian

No comments: