Thursday, June 07, 2007

"GU" ZONE

I'm writing this from the BNI National Conference in Bethesda, Maryland. It's always great to be at this conference. It's a wonderful time to reconnect with people from across the country and get new ideas on networking, helping chapters in BNI, and referral marketing.

I heard a phrase today that made me think of how we some times limit our opportunities. The term was "GU" standing for "geographically undesirable".

How many times have we said, "I'm not going to travel to there" or "I can't really expect to get business there because their too far away"? Sometimes, we limit our opportunities by not being willing to travel to a potential client or by not wanting to connect with someone too far away from us.

My advice is this ... you never know who someone knows! Just because someone may be geographically undesireable, doesn't necessarily mean that they don't know people who are NOT geographically undesireable! It never fails that every time I moan about traveling somewhere that's "too far" or "out of my way" something very positive comes of it.

Don't limit your opportunities ... you just never know whos waiting to meet you!!

1 comment:

Debby said...

Oh gosh, I know this will date me, but I had not heard that phrase for at least 20 - 25 years when I lived in Detroit. This was back in the days (okay, the old days) when there was no east/west highway to get from one side of Detroit to the other. The phrase I actually heard was GUD -- Geographically Undesirable Date. So there, this has nothing to do with networking, but just thought I give you some chuckles.