Friday, August 01, 2008

Referral Marketing: Saw-Whet Owls

The other night, I was awakened by an unusual sound in the darkness outside. I listened intently ... realizing that this was a sound I had never heard before! What was it?! Was it a coyote? A fox? A weird bird or something??

I began investigating by searching through animal and bird sounds online. Process of elimination led me to the Saw-whet owl. I knew it was a resident of the state, but I've never seen or heard one actually call ... until now. The more I read about the Saw-whet, the more I wanted to know.
It's a cute, tiny owl with big eyes. It eats mostly mice. Its defense upon discovery is to sit still and not fly, leading people to perceive them as "tame." They are fairly nomadic, never wanting to stay in one place for too long. They are only about 7 inches high, so you should consider yourself lucky if you've seen one.
One sure fire way to hinder your referability is to act like a Saw-whet and never stay in one place very long ... particularly with respect to a networking group. Your "referability" is specifically relating to your ability to refer to other people and their ability to refer to you. If you're the kind of person who only stays with a networking group for a year and then moves on ... you're just not going to get the kind of referral results that you want from that group. People like to know that they can count on you being there. They like to feel assured that you're going to get to know them and help them with their business. There's a level of trust and confidence that must be built and maintained to ensure and enhance your referability.
Saw-whet owls are great little birds ... but they would make lousy networkers!

No comments: