Monday, October 15, 2007

Football Season!

Okay, I'll admit ... I'm a football fan. More specifically, I'm a Steeler fan!! I've been a Steeler fan since I was a kid in the prime of Steeler history. Lynn Swann was my favorite player ... I even have his autograph. In college, I participated in a Steeler tailgate party when my college marching band was asked to perform for the crowd. If memory serves me right, it was the year there was a football strike.

Anyway, football is a very complex sport. [Yes, they get paid way too much money ... but that's not a discussion for today!] One of the complexities of the game is each team's playbook. The playbook needs to be memorized by the team players. Some players need to memorize plays for multiple positions! One thing's for certain ... every team has a playbook and wouldn't even begin the season without one.

Do you have a playbook for marketing your business for more referrals? Some businesses take the time to map out their plays for the year in their business plans, marketing plans, development goals, and sales goals. However, very few businesses or business professionals develop a referral marketing plan (or networking plan) for the year. This produces more and more people practicing networking in a haphazard manner rather than using a calculated, strategic approach.

Imagine your favorite football team approaching the season in a haphazard manner ... reacting to what comes at them instead of proactively producing their results. As far as I can see it ... there's not much difference in how you approach your referral business!

2008 is around the corner ... will you continue your haphazard approach?

No comments: