Monday, December 11, 2006

Foreign Languages Kill Referrals!

You say "brolly", I say "umbrella".
You say "flat", I say "apartment".
You say "loo", I say "bathroom".

What does this have to do with eliminating cold calls? My British friend, Joe Gater, president of Emerge Consulting, Inc., speaks the same language as I do (English) however, on occasion, our wires get crossed! You can probably see why.

Have you ever felt like people just don't have any idea what you do? I suspect you're speaking their natural language, however you may still be speaking another language to them called JARGON! Only you and those in your industry understand jargon. It's a foreign language to the rest of us.

If you want to increase your chances of getting more referrals by word of mouth, your message about your business must be simple, concise and free of jargon. When you can accomplish all three of these, it increases the chance that your message will be passed on to someone else. If you don't ... it won't ... and so goes your word of mouth marketing campaign and success.

Don't let this foreign language kill your chances for referrals! Simplify and specify.

No comments: