Thursday, January 18, 2007

Taking WORK out of Networking??

Recently, I've come to hear about something called "5 Minute Networking". It's promoted as "taking the work out of networking".

Come on. Really now.

Can you honestly take the WORK out of networking? Not from where I'm sitting. I suppose it all comes down to how you define networking. If networking to you is meeting a person, shaking their hand and getting their business card, then, perhaps you can take the work out networking.

That's NOT my definition of networking. To me, networking is about building relationships. Just getting someone's card and shaking their hand is not building a relationship with them. Networking takes time, effort and alot of work to do it right.

5 Minute Networking ought to be called, "5 Minute Hello" because that's all it really is. Now ... don't get me wrong. It's not a BAD thing at all because it does get people out of their caves, which can only be a good thing. But, it's not taking the work out of networking.

Networking without work becomes just a "net" ... a net that just sits there, unproductive, and immobile.

What are your thoughts on 5 Minute Networking or something similar, speed networking?

2 comments:

Debby said...

My opinion is that it is a gimmick. I guess if your job meant that you had to meet as many people as possible, and NOT develop any relationships with those people (I can't think of what that job would be!)then I guess it would be helpful.

Anonymous said...

I am reading blogs tonight - something I don't do very often, even though I want to.

One of Debby Peter's recent blog entries talks about TAKERS. Well, when I went to a 5 minute networking event recently I found that it was very effective in speed-spotting the TAKERS. Speed networking does have its merits if for nothing else then finding out who to avoid.