Monday, November 06, 2006

Miniature Billboards

I'm an executive member of Costco. It’s one of those wholesale food distributors. In the recent edition of The Costco Connection, I noticed an article that focused on the huge impact of a business card.

Melissa Crowe, VP of Marketing Services for VistaPrint gave the following few tips for effective business cards:


1. Don’t waste space … use the back of the card too!
2. Use good quality paper
3. Include a clear, concise positioning statement
4. Choose a color that fits your business or appeals to your audience
5. Include your photo to make a lasting impression

Crowe said, “A properly designed business card can be the difference between gaining or losing the interest of a potential customer.” Not only does the card itself generate an impact, but so does the person behind the card and the intention with which the card is passed. I see so many people passing business cards just to pass them out. What's the point? In my opinion, if you pass your card to someone who has not asked for it, it is only one small step behind a cold call ... the difference is that you're in their face! Stop it!

I am also a very safistied VistaPrint customer and I get a lot of compliments on my business card. If you want to know even more about effective business cards, check out the book, “It’s in the Cards!” by Dr. Ivan Misner, Candace Bailly and Dan Georgevich. I've got alot more to say on this subject, but I'll save that for another grey day in Pittsburgh ... which will probably be tomorrow!

Ciao.

No comments: