Monday, May 21, 2007

Even in Church!

Yesterday, I did something that I don't do too often ... I went to church. The church was Saints John & Paul Catholic church in Franklin Park. I was surprised to see so many people there at 7:30am!

Imagine my bigger surprise to observe referral marketing actually taking place in church! It seems the Catholic church has a shortage of priests (no big news there). I'm certainly not going to give my commentary on that one today! And, it seems that this church was trying to recruit more men & women to help teach in their "faith formation" program. I believe that's what used to be called CCD (or to some, Catholic Church Detention). Anyway, at the end of mass, the woman who runs the faith formation program got up and began talking about the benefits of the program. Then, she said, "instead of listening to me, listen to one of our current beneficiaries".

WOW! Here came a real life testimonial from a mother of 3 who spoke passionately about why she gives her time to this program. She spoke to the emotions of the audience and did quite a nice job. Although I was not moved into action (but not because of her message), I'm sure that plenty of other people probably were moved enough to at least inquire for more information.

There you have it. If referral marketing can happen in church ... you surely can make it happen for you too! When is the last time you had a satisfied client provide a live testimonial for you in front of an audience? It's truly powerful and it works ...even the church knows that!

No comments: