Tuesday, May 15, 2007

The Thirsty Chipmunk

A few days ago, I sat in my kitchen and watched a chipmunk drink the dew drops off the leaves of the poppy plants I have in my garden. I knew I was observing something that not too many people ever see. But the question that came to my mind was, how did the chipmunk learn that poppy leaves hold a fair amount of water due to their fuzzy nature? As me and my cat watched the chipmunk, I found myself thinking about when we are thirsty for business, where do we look first?

I've found that many business owners turn to networking as a "reaction" to slow or no business. No doubt when this happens, the business owner gets fully caught up in "selling themselves" at the networking event. They appear to be desperate ... searching for someone, anyone who will buy their products. In reality, this approach will actually turn people away.

My suggestion is to begin to incorporate networking into how you do business ongoing. Networking should never become a reaction to slow business. Its intent is to become an ongoing marketing strategy for your business. Don't wait until you're thirsty like the chipmunk to seek out your "dew drops".

Become a proactive networker instead of a reactive networker. Incorporate networking into your weekly activities. Seek out a networking organization (like BNI) and become an active member ... not just a member on paper.

1 comment:

Debby said...

I have to share that I was out weeding Sunday in the big garden across the pond. One of the Springers was sleeping in the dirt just a ways from me. I caught movement out of the corner of my eye in the opposite direction. Right there astounding me was a turkey strutting her stuff, just feet away from the dog. I was trying to remember whether turkeys could fly if the stupid dog awakened and decided to chase.

The turkey waited until she was closer to the sleeping dog to cluck three times loudly. Dog awakened. Turkey could fly!