Thursday, August 23, 2007

E-Women Network

Last night, I attended a networking event by E-Women Network. I had never heard of them until recently. I mostly went to hear my friend, Jayne Huston of Seton Hill University's E-Magnify speak. She's a fabulous women to know!

The event was different than typical networking events. The focus seemed to be more on giving than receiving, which was a welcome change. Every person had a few different opportunities to share what they were looking for or what help they needed. The group would pass their card to the person if they felt they could help them.

There were alot of BNI overtones at this meeting ... visitor hosts, referral slips, timed commercials, permission to visit the chapter twice, even language from Dr. Misner himself. It was wierd in a way. However, the "chapter" was open only to women and not limited by profession.

I liked the concept of helping people instead of being there to "get". However, I caution people referring someone that they don't really know. My intention for being there was to listen for a need and be able to refer one of my referral partners to help that person.

If you're a business women, check it out and see what you think. For me, the jury is still out.

1 comment:

Kara said...

There are so many women networking sites available online! It's really a great way to meet other women and share ideas.