Thursday, March 29, 2007

The Fig Tree

When I was growing up, my grandfather had a large fig tree in his yard. Yes, he was Italian and came to this country as a little boy. I anxiously waited each year for those figs to ripen. There's something wonderful about picking a fig right from the tree!

Anyway ... a fig tree in Pittsburgh is not too common a sight. The climate of this region is not great for this tree. They prefer the warmer climates of Sicily for example. However, my grandfather's fig tree was quite large and produced a bumper crop of figs. Why? Because of tender loving care, persistence, and commitment. Each fall, before the winter, he would bury it. That's right. Bury this big tree. I remember him tying a rope to the top and pulling it all the way down to the ground. Then, he would cover it with dirt, leaves, insulation, blankets, etc. all to keep it snug and warm all winter long.

Now, I have my own fig tree (an offspring of my grandfather's tree). And, right now, it too is buried. Very soon, I will uncover that tree to allow it to begin producing its first year of figs!! If I did not give this tree tender loving care, persistence and commitment, there simply would be no tree and consequently, no figs.

The same is true in word of mouth marketing. Referral partners don't hang around if you don't treat them with genuine TLC. It takes commitment and persistence to work a referral system to actually produce referrals. Referrals just don't grow on trees!


No comments: