Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Connect the Dots!


Tonight I'm going to a networking function by PowerLink. PowerLink is a non-profit organization focused on helping women-owned businesses to advance. It accomplishes this goal by supporting the business with an advisory board for one year. I had the opportunity to serve on an advisory board for a short time. I found the experience to be incredibly rewarding and equally challenging at times. I truly hope to serve on another board in the future.

This event is sure to be attended by plenty of movers and shakers in Pittsburgh. My past instinct for an event like this would have been to get my business card in the hands of as many people as possible. Now, focussing on referral marketing, I'm about as far away from that tactic as possible. My purpose at this kind of event is no longer to sell myself, but instead, look for opportunities for my referral partners. My first goal this evening is to invite two people to Becky's upcoming Dream Book Seminar on November 13th. My second goal is to look for opportunities for Dave, Linda or Cathy.

If you really want to ensure that your time is well spent at a networking function, focus on someone else other than YOU. Set a goal for the event in order to have a purpose for being there!

What are some of your goals for networking events?

No comments: