Monday, October 30, 2006

Mental Pictures


"The soul never thinks without a mental picture." - Aristotle

I like this quote. It reminds me that if I want to educate people on how to bring me referrals, I must become a mental artist. It's my job to paint those mental images that accurately describe my target market. It's my job to paint the background as well as the details.

Mental pictures have a way of staying with us through our busy day. Mental pictures make is easier for your referral sources to bring you the right kind of referral. When you consider all the time you waste with referrals that are not good for you, great mental pictures can save you lots of time!

In this simple example, which statements paint a better picture for you as a referral source?
1) "I want to meet anyone with a face."
2) "I want to meet women over 40 that are beginning to get "smile" wrinkles."

1) "I want to meet everyone that wants to buy a new car."
2) "I want to meet the owners of cars with a mileage of over 90,000 miles."

If you answered #2 for both, you are correct! Creating more of a mental image triggers your brain and your soul to think.

What does the mental picture of your target market look like?

No comments: