Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Your Comfort Zone is NOT Safe!



Animals, like humans have comfort zones. As the weather becomes colder, I've noticed the field mice trying to find their way into their warm comfort zone ... my house! My house, however, is not a safe place for mice. I have two cats who are not very kind to mice and an exterminator that visits every three months (www.fryepestmanagement.com). Between the two, the mice really don't have a chance to succeed.

Every day, I see people clinging to their comfort zone as if it were the safest place to be at the moment. At networking events, I see colleagues sticking together like a pack at one table. At my BNI meetings, I see people who stake a claim for a specific chair and never, ever move. I see the sole-proprietor business owner, who never ventures out of the home to meet new people. We humans definately have our comfort zones.

Staying within your comfort zone as a business owner is not a safe thing to do if your intention is to grow your business. I personally feel that it limits your visibility, minimizes your contacts, and potentially stifles the growth of your business.

Your comfort zone is not always safe! Take it from the mice.

How has going outside of your comfort zone benefited your business?

No comments: