Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Cupid's Arrow

Tomorrow is Valentine's Day. The day to honor and cherish the person or people most dear to you. The day to celebrate how much these people mean to you. The day marked by a little angelic boy carrying a bow and arrow ready to strike love in the hearts of his target.

Valentine's Day doesn't really do much for me. I'm not a huge fan. Now don't get me wrong. I'm not a cold-hearted hermit. Quite the opposite, actually. I too have someone very dear to me who has shared my life for the past 12 years. In my opinion, why do I need ONE day of the year to express the love and gratitude that I feel? Why not incorporate the essence of Valentine's Day into every day?

It's no different with your referral partners! Would you actually select only ONE day of the year to honor and celebrate the relationship you have with your referral partners? Or would you instead recognize their good deeds and generousity along the way? I hope that you said "along the way"! MY sense is that it makes MORE sense to celebrate your relationship throughout the year. By doing so, you will inject a will to nurture and further develop the relationship. By doing so, you also inject motivation that carries the relationship past any bumps and hurdles.

Cupid had the right idea. I only wish that more effort would be put towards shooting the arrows every day as a way to recognize and honor our referral partners dedication, time, energy and confidence. Relationships need to be stroked and nurtured. Referral partners, being humans too, need to know that they are valued and appreciated.

1 comment:

Debby said...

Michelle, good point! It is a good reason to have regularly scheduled appointments with each other. I know that you teach that in your Certified Networker classes.