Thursday, February 15, 2007

Customer Service

When I go out into the public arena of service providers, I expect great customer service. When I get it, I praise the individual or the manager. When I don't get it, I not only say something to the manager, I also tell a friend or two or three!

Most people that I know react the same way. Good customer service is expected. It shouldn't be anything special ... because it has become the norm in terms of customer expectations.

Then WHY do so many business owners when asked, "What sets you apart from your competition?" STILL say "our exceptional customer service"?? I'm sorry, but if your competitor around the corner is able to say the same thing, then it's not special ... it's not what sets you apart ... it's not unique to YOUR business.

What DOES set you apart from your competitor is that which your competitor cannot also say. It's the one or two things that only you can say! Maybe it's that you stay open late three nights a week, or that you offer a guarantee, or that you were the first widget store to open in your region, or that you offer a product that no one else does! In marketing, and referral marketing, this is your "unique selling position". Knowing what this is for your business and sharing it with your referral network will, without any doubt, enhance your referability!

What's your unique selling position? And, please don't say, customer service!

No comments: