Sunday, February 11, 2007

It's Not Sales!

Referral marketing is NOT sales.

Just the other day, I noticed that someone listed me on a committee as "Sales". No ... wrong.


Let me try to clarify this in a way taught to me by my friend, Tom Fleming, in Florida.

Referral marketing is everything that happens BEFORE sales kicks in. It's everything that has to happen to bring a prospect in front of you. Once you have a prospect in front of you, the sales training takes over to close the deal. When youe selling, you are spending alot of time in front of people who need to be sold to. When you're practicing referral marketing, you are spending your time in front of people who are ready to buy! Which would you prefer?? How much time would you save?? How much more money would you make?? Exactly.

The ultimate example of referral marketing is when a referral source brings you a prospect that is already SOLD. You literally have no selling to do at all. This just happened to me the other day. I received a call from someone I had never met who was looking to hire me to do a presentation for her group on effective networking. This woman was already sold ... based on what she had heard about me from someone she trusted.

Referral marketing ... in my humble opinion, there's no better way to do business.

No comments: