Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Connectivity!

Today, I started my day with my weekly BNI meeting. During the portion of the meeting where members are giving their commercials, Bob French, from Affolder & Associates, specifically mentioned that he wanted to meet property and casualty insurance agents from Liberty Mutual.

Within an hour after the meeting, I went to an MSP training for BNI members. In the class was a P & C insurance agent from Liberty Mutual. What are the odds?? Bob's message stuck with me as I left my early morning meeting and was triggered when I saw someone's business card. My job at that point as a referral source for Bob was to strike up a conversation with Ben. In doing so, Ben became very interested in meeting Bob. So, I'm in the process of making that happen.

Connectivity! There are several keys that made it happen in this story. The first is referability ... mine and Bob's. My referability increased because I paid attention to what Bob was asking for ... I even wrote it down as I do every week. Bob's referability increased because he was more specific than just saying "insurance agents". Second, I knew how to open the conversation with Ben. Why? Third ... because over time Bob taught me how to do that on his behalf. Fourth, follow-up. I was sure to follow-up with Bob immediately while Ben was still thinking of Bob. It makes no sense to wait until next week when I see Bob at my BNI meeting ... so I acted TODAY.

No comments: