Friday, November 09, 2007

Referral Marketing: Meeting Johnny Angel

Earlier this week, I was delivering a presentation for the Penn State Alumni Business Group at the Atria's Restaurant at PNC Park. This was one of those memorable speaking opportunities that cause you to just shake your head and remember why you've got to be prepared for absolutely anything!

From the very beginning, I knew it was going to be an interesting evening. First, there was no connection cord for the projector and computer. Not good. Once we had the cord, we had a difficult time getting my computer to speak to the power point projector. Not good. Then, we needed an additional extension cord since there was no power strip for the computer to plug into. Once we got the whole thing working and the power point was accurately displayed, the LIVE music began in the restaurant!! Oh and did I mention that there was no microphone ... for me!! And, no door on the room we were in! So, I now had to compete ungainst a good singer in the next room who did have a mic and a guitar. Knowing this was not going to work out well ... we sent out the search party to find a mic. Now, I have a microphone with a very short cord ... hard to reach the computer to switch slides, but doable. I managed and the audience enjoyed the session.

At the end, this guy comes up to me and says, "Is everything okay with the mic?" I said, "Everything's great ... we're done." He said, "Great. Oh by the way, I'm Johnny Angel." As I shook his hand, I said, "Wait ... THE Johnny Angel?" He said, "Yeh, I own the place." Wow ... I'm talking to Johnny Angel.

As I drove home, I called my mom, who I knew would appreciate the fact that I had met Johnny Angel. She was shocked and said "you never know who you're gonna meet!" She asks me one thing .... did you get his autograph?! Nope. Forgot to ask.

My mom's right ... when you're networking, you never know WHO you're going to meet!! I recommend that you carry a pen and note pad incase it happens to be Johnny Angel.

2 comments:

Frank said...

I love it when celebrities decide to invest and/or stay in the area! I wonder what other places are owned by local celebrities that don't advertise it?

The Blurgh

Unknown said...

Choas training pays off!