Saturday, November 10, 2007

Referral Marketing: Networking Lessons from Mom

I wrote an article last week called, "Five Things You Learned About Networking from Your Mother". It was a fun article to write and especially share with my mom. Here's one of her lessons:

"Walk, don't run!"

I used to hear this phrase no matter where we were … in the house, in the grocery store, in the mall, in church, and even at school! As a kid, I was always in a hurry to get to the next exciting thing around the corner. I couldn’t wait! There always seemed to be someplace more interesting than where I was at the time. My attention was short and my mom was trying to teach me patience.

Patience is a virtue when it comes to networking. A fast paced networker misses the true essence of the event and could very easily blow right past a tremendous opportunity. Fast paced networkers tend to build shallow relationships that offer little or nothing of value to your business. On the other hand, patient networkers build deep, long lasting relationships that significantly impact the growth of their business. Establishing a network that has depth far exceeds one that is shallow and frail.

If you want to read the rest of the article, you'll have to visit my website: http://www.pinnacletrainingservices.com/ and click on Michelle's Articles! Enjoy and remember to thank your mom!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice picture.

Frank said...

It's amazing how much the little things count in networking. I knew a guy who was in a big meeting with a lot of important people, and the night before, he met with one of those people, who was a top executive. The top executive casually mentioned how he lost his phone in the cab ride from the airport, so the guy got the names of all the cab companies in the area and started calling. Eventually he did end up finding the phone, and now the executive treats him like he can do no wrong.

Doing the little things makes a big difference.

The Blurgh